Thanksgiving Healthy Recipes: Pumpkin PieAll of this Thanksgiving talk has certainly made me hungry and a lot of foods come to mind on the topic. Both my heart and my taste buds are inexorably drawn to my favorite part of the entire meal though so let's get to it. We have to have pumpkin pie! This recipe is for a clean healthy version that delivers all of the sweet, satisfying goodness of your pumpkin dreams. If you are one of those who likes to bury their pie in topping we have you covered for that also with an optional whipped topping made from coconut milk. Without the topping you can figure on a nine-serving pie coming in below 250 calories per slice. With the topping it depends on whether you use a dollop or the whole bowl, divided by the total calories in your can of coconut milk.
Ingredients for Pie Crust:1 cup quick-cooking old-fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup ground raw almonds
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (or raw honey)
¼ tsp. sea salt
3 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 Tbsp. water
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie:1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (watch the ingredients label for bad guys)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¼ cup maple syrup (or raw honey)
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. sea salt
⅔ cup evaporated unsweetened nonfat milk*
*Eagle Brand does not contain Carageenan or Something-Scary-Phosphate.
*A non-dairy option is to reduce unsweetened cashew or almond milk by 60% without scalding.
*Coconut milk may be substituted 1:1 if you want to add a little coconut flavor and avoid milk.
Ingredients for Whipped Coconut Cream Topping (optional):1 can full fat coconut milk, unshaken and refrigerated overnight
1 tablespoon raw honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder (or pure vanilla extract)
Directions for Pie Crust:1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Combine oats, flour, almonds, maple syrup, and salt in a medium mixing bowl; mix well.
3. Add oil to oat mixture; mix well. If needed, add water to hold mixture together.
4. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown.
Directions for Pie:1. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
2. Combine pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup in a medium bowl; mix well.
3. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and milk; mix until just blended.
4. Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Directions for Whipped Coconut Cream Topping:1. Gently flip the can of coconut milk upside down and open it up; pour the liquid that sits on top into a small bowl. The coconut water is not used in this recipe.
2. Transfer the solid coconut cream to a large mixing bowl and beat on high speed with a hand mixer until the cream gets light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. For best results use a chilled stainless steel bowl.
3. Add honey and vanilla and resume beating on high for another minute or so, until the ingredients are well combined and the cream gets even fluffier.
4. Use to garnish your pumpkin pie right away. This whipped cream will keep for a few days in the fridge but will firm up some and may become a bit grainy, so it might be necessary to give it another quick beating before use.